Friday, November 13, 2009

Coral growth update

As I mentioned earlier, the Acropora corals are looking especially good since we left them in Chris and Emily's care.  :)

Here are some recent photos of the yellow $5 frag, and green just-a-little-more-than $5 frag.  Looking back, the green coral has grown radially very visibly whereas the yellow one has only encrusted, but substantially, since July.  I think it is about to branch; look at the lower right side of the colony where the corallites are extending noticably from the face of the colony.  I still have no idea what the common or species names of these corals are, although I saw a similar yellow frag at a store in Orlando a couple months ago.  Please post a comment if you have an idea...

    


Here is the same area again from the side.  The area that is hopefully about to branch is more visible from this angle:



This is the same area in July.  You can barely notice the yellow Acropora, and its color is much more muted.

 

I don't think that  a photo of this Montipora digitata frag has been posted before.  It was such a pathetic little nub originally, stuck in the back of the aquarium, that I doubt I had any desire to publicize it...  It has encrusted on the rock pretty well now, is starting to form 4+ new branches.  I'll post another photo once it grows out some more.


Bookmark and Share
 

No comments:

Post a Comment