Friday, October 30, 2009

Coral Gardens, TCI

I snorkled the Coral Gardens inshore reef this afternoon. Visibility was mediocre due to the tide and time of day, but it was still fun. in a nutshell, I would suggest this site over Smith's reef since it is easier to access from most hotels on Grace Bay, and seems larger.


View Larger Map

Fish diversity and abundance was as good or better than Smith's Reef, and there was a greater diversity of stony coral species, including some good looking brain, Siderastrea and Montastrea coral colonies of various sizes, although as at Smith's there were Montastreas that appeared to be ill. There were some large Porites porites heads as well, that appear to be recovering from storm damage. This is a web image of a Siderastrea colony.




Macroalgae growth was much more controlled, maybe due to the greater number of parrotfish? This was a nice surprise, since the reef is off of Beaches resort, without a doubt the largest one on the island boasting 15 bars and restaurants! (We liken it to a beached cruise ship :-) )  I could clearly hear the Parrots munching on algae.

I did see at least four lionfish. Finding a submerged stick, I was as able to severely harrass a couple of them. It made me feel better, of nothing else...

Ray Ray and I plan to dive this area again in the morning.

Bookmark and Share

No comments:

Post a Comment